August 5, 2010

Whooooopies!

So. Who doesn't know what a whoopie pie is? I learned about them when I lived in the Shenandoah Valley of Virgina at the bakery I was lucky enough to work at. They're not limited at all in flavors, we did chocolate, pumpkin, vanilla, and even red velvet once!

Esentially, they are two cupcake tops with some sort of cream filling in the middle. Like a moonpie without the chocolate dip part. (do I have that right southerners? I'm learning...)

And so, I present, via the darling J, Raspberry Lemon Woopie pies:


1/2 c butter (room temp)
1 cup and 3 tsp brown sugar
1 TBSP grated lemon zest
1tsp vanilla
1 large egg
2 1/4 c flower
3/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup whole milk (all I had was 2 percent... so I added some of the heavy cream worked just dandy!)
3/4 c heavy cream
1 cup fresh raspberries! (I used frozen)

Heat the oven to 350.
Mix together butter, 1 c of sugar (holding the 3tbsp back), & lemon zest til light and creamy. Add vanilla and egg and beat the heck out of it. In a second bowl, combine the dry ingredients and add them to the wet stuff alternating between the milk and the dry, mixing everything before adding the next dollop.
Drop the batter in 2 tbsp mounds about 2 inches apart on to your baking sheet (parchment paper is very helpful here) * Also very important, try your best to make these as evenly shaped as possible, nothing's worse than lopsided woopie pies... at least, not while you're trying to make these tasty beauties. * Bake until puffed and pale golden brown around the edges, 12-19 min. Be sure to rotate the sheets in the middle of this!

Right before serving the whoopies, whip cream and the 3 tbsp of sugar together into soft peaks.
fold the raspberries amongst the cream. Plop a healthy amount on the bottom half of your pies, and then add the top.

Then try not to eat them all at once. I made these for my friend's birthday party and so I can't tell you how long they last, since we ate them all that night. But man, they are some of the prettiest desserts you'll ever see, all that yellowy pinky goodness!mmmmmm


xoxox

2 comments:

The Noisy Plume said...

Seriously. Were they scrummy?????????????

:)

Cat said...

So scrummy I can't be more serious about it!!!