May 13, 2010

This may become more common


I got this recipe in the mail the other day from a good friend. It is YUMMY! So I thought I should share with you! I meant to take a photo of the meal on our plates, but it was too late by the time I thought about it, and rice and lentils all mixed up in a tupper-ware is not so pretty.... Instead you get a photo of the Berbere spice getting measured out.

May I present
Spicy Ethiopian Lentil Stew:

2tsp oil of your choice
2 cups chopped red onion
1 tbsp minced and peeled fresh ginger
3 garlic cloves
3 tbsp tomato paste
1.5 tbsp Berbere Spice (see below...)

3 cups veggie broth

1 cup dried small lentils

chopped fresh cilantro

cooked Batsmati rice

Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over med. heat. Add onions, and cook until tender (15 min) stirring occasionally. Add ginger and garlic, cook for 5 more min, stir frequently. Add tomato paste and Berbere spice, cook 1 min more. Gradually add broth, stirring to combine with a whisk until blended. increase heat to med. high and bring to a simmer. Rinse the lentils in cool water, drain and add to broth misture, simmer, partialy covered for 35 min or until lentils are tender. stir occasionally. Stir in some salt to taste. Serve warm, over rice, sprinkle with cilantro. Now. I am going to add some diced tomatoes next time, it needed a little more... texture or something but was quite good! And I was very proud and surprised the Berbere spice worked out so well!

There are a millionty-one opinions on how to make Berbere spice, so I'd recommend searching around and choosing one that pleases you the most. I used chili powder, ginger powder, cloves, cinnamon, coriander, allspice, black pepper, turmeric, ummm... crushed red pepper... I think I wrote it down, and if anyone wants my "recipe" for the mix, let me know!
It was yum, vegetarian (which I'm not, but was searching for something to serve to my friends who are) and pretty healthy I think. It would be easy to add tofu or maybe chicken.... not sure. but I will make it again!

No comments: